To Submit a proposal to add a new article
The Council's Vision and Strategies
The Council's vision is as per its Statute which is to "improve the engineering profession and enable engineers and engineering firms to reach optimal solutions, raise the performance level and encourage creativity and innovation to achieve a notable position internationally, through the following strategies:
1. Working on the adoption of principles and rules governing the practice of the profession.
2. Enhancing the capabilities of engineers and technicians by approving curricula for qualifying and training at Kingdom level that enable them to practice their profession effectively. 3. Contributing to raising the standard of engineering education in academic, training, and professional fields aiming at materialization of compatibility between educational outcomes and employment market requirements.
4. Encouraging research, development, innovation, and creativity in all engineering fields. 5. Reviewing laws, regulations and instructions in both public and private sectors pertaining to engineering profession, and to suggest appropriate amendments that will contribute to realize the goals, vision and strategies of the Council.
6. Active participation of Saudi engineers and engineering companies in projects in both public and private sectors, and developing real working partnership between Saudi and foreign engineering firms in such a way as to develop the national faculties.
7. Encouraging integration between national companies and engineering establishments to enable them to execute major projects.
8. Striving to promote engineering establishments and small and medium size engineering companies.
9. Providing special services for engineers, companies and engineering offices, through cooperation with local and foreign private organizations, companies and establishments. 10. Edifying the society about the role of the Council and engineering sector through special programs and services assigned to serve the society.
It must be noted that the vision and strategies of the Council require the development of a working plan and specific goals that can measured and applied. The Council seeks to achieve these plans and goals in the coming years through the Board of Directors of the Council and executive bodies thereof.
Second Chapter: Definitions
Submit a proposal regarding Article One
The following terms and expressions shall have the meanings, indicated opposite thereto, unless otherwise is provided:
It is the Statute of the Saudi Council of Engineers, promulgated by the Royal Decree No. M/36, dated 26/9/1423H and the Royal Decree No. M/60, dated 28/12/1425H.
The General Assembly: The Saudi Council of Engineers.
The General Assembly of the Saudi Council of Engineers which is composed of the principal members of the Council.
Board of Directors: Board of Directors of the Saudi Council of Engineers
The Chairman of the Board:
A member of the Board: Secretary General:
The Chairman of the Saudi Council of Engineers
A member of the Council's Board.
The Secretary General of the Saudi Council of Engineers is a group of rules that regulate the ethics and behaviors of engineering practices of the engineering profession in the Kingdom.
Engineering Division: a unit composed of a group of members in the Council specialized in one of the engineering specializations through which they contribute to improving their professional specialization based on specific principles and rules.
Technical Committee: The advisory committee specialized in one of the technical aspects of the General Secretariat's work.
Professional Registration: Membership:
Principal Member: The document granted by the Council to individuals to practice the engineering profession.
The document issued by the Council to the principal, associated and honorary members.
Each Saudi holding a university degree or its equivalent in one of the engineering specializations and working in the profession and has been registered in the Council.
Licensing: The license granted to offices and companies for practicing the engineering profession
Engineering Specializations: The major academic engineering specializations or derivatives thereof.
The person holding a university degree or its equivalent in one of the engineering specializations from one of the recognized universities.
The person who holds a certificate of one of the engineering sciences, lower than a bachelor's degree or a certificate in one of the supporting specializations of Engineering Sciences.
The Council Bodies:
A. The General Assembly: Article Two:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Two
The General Assembly shall have all powers stipulated in Article Five of the Statue promulgated by the Royal Decree No. M/36, dated 26/9/1423H and the Royal Decree No. M/60, dated 28/12/1425H, which include:
-Issuance of the internal regulation of the Council -Approval of the executive regulations of the Council's Statute.
-Approval of the members' subscriptions.
-Approval of the final accounts of the Council, appointment of an auditor and determination of his remunerations.
-Approval of the plan submitted by the Council's Board of Directors and approval of the annual report on its activities.
-Election of members of the Board.
The Council's ordinary meetings shall be held once a year in a place determined by the Board of Directors and attended by the principal members who paid their annual subscriptions, as follows:
1. The general assembly shall be held within the following six months of its fiscal year.
2. The meetings of the General Assembly shall be headed by the Chairman of the Board of Directors or his deputy. In case this is impossible, they shall be headed by such person as authorized by the Board of Directors from among its members. 3. Invitation shall be extended to all the principal members to attend the meeting of the General Assembly twenty business days before the date fixed for convening the meeting. Moreover, the invitation shall be published in the website of the Saudi Council of Engineers, in addition to three local newspapers at least. The invitation shall determine the agenda, and the date of convening, and the place or places of meeting once appropriate technical means, including electronic voting, are facilitated. 4. Meeting shall be valid no matter how many members are present. 5. General Assembly resolutions shall be issued by the majority of votes of those present. In case the votes are equal, the Chairman's casting vote shall decide the issue. 6. Attendance schedule shall be prepared to record the names of the attending members. 7. The minutes of the meetings shall record what has happened in the course of the sessions. The record shall be filed in a special register to be kept with the Secretariat of the Board of Directors.
8. The General Assembly shall only discuss the topics included in its agenda for which it has been invited. 9. In determining the venue of the General Assembly, distributing the meetings among the main cities of the Kingdom should be taken into account.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Three
The General Assembly shall hold extraordinary meetings in one of the two following conditions: 1. If the Board of Directors felt the need to call for an extraordinary general assembly to convene. 2. If an application is submitted by a hundred principal members asking for an extraordinary general assembly to convene, provided that an explanatory memorandum is attached to the application illustrating the causes for such convening and the topics proposed for discussion. Yet, there shall be no more than two extraordinary general assembly meetings per year. The provisions of convening shall be in accordance with the terms of the ordinary meetings of the General Assembly.
B- Board of Directors
Submit a proposal regarding Article Four
The Board of Directors consists of ten of the principal members who meet the conditions of nomination and shall be elected by the General Assembly for three years, renewable once only. The elected Board of Directors shall choose the Chairman of the Council and his deputy from among its members by secret ballot. The Board of Directors is the authority that administers and runs the affairs of the Council, and proposes the general policies. It has the right to take whatever resolutions it deems necessary to achieve the objectives for which the Council is established in accordance with the provisions of the Statute thereof. The Council is entitled to practice the following authorities: 1. Proposing the internal regulation of SCE and submitting the same to the General Assembly for approval. 2. Proposing executive regulations and submitting the same to the General Assembly for approval. 3. Proposing the value of member subscriptions and submitting the same to the General Assembly for approval. 4. Proposing the action plan of SCE and submitting the same to the General Assembly for approval. 5. Forming committees consisting of members of SCE and others in order to follow up the implementation of strategies of SCE. 6. Forming any other committees for assuming any task assigned by the SCE. 7. Issuing the rules relating to administrative and financial affairs. 8. Approving the budget of the Council. 9. Preparing the annual report of SCE and submitting the same to the General Assembly for approval. 10. Preparing the final account of SCE and submitting the same to the General Assembly for approval.
11. Reviewing periodic reports submitted by the General Secretariat on work progress of SCE and giving instructions thereon. 12. Appointing the Secretary-General of SCE, Deputy Secretary-General of SCE and managers of branches and departments, and specifying their duties, responsibilities and rights. 13. Approving the rules governing the formation of technical and scientific committees and engineering divisions. 14. Calling for meetings of the Ordinary and Extraordinary General Assembly, and approving their agenda and convening arrangements.
15. Accepting gifts and donations. 16. Approving investment policy of SCE funds.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Five
The approach and procedures of elections of the Board shall be made in accordance with the election regulations attached to this Regulations.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Six
The General Assembly shall form a committee to supervise the elections of members of the Board. Such committee shall be composed of five principal members selected in the Ordinary General Assembly meeting, which precedes the expiration of the Board term, as well as a legal consultant selected by the committee. Any member of the committee shall not be entitled to nominate for the membership of the Board. Such committee shall have the following competencies and tasks: 1. Developing the regulatory procedures and schedule for implementing the election process in accordance with this regulation. 2. Forming sub-committees and specifying their duties. 3. Preparing a minute of the final results of the elections, and submitting the same to the General Assembly for approval.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Seven
A candidate for the membership of the Board of Directors shall meet the following requirements: 1. Submitting the nomination application to the supervisory committee during the specified period of receiving nomination applications. 2. Having been a member of SCE for at least three years. 3. Having the degree of Professional Engineer from SCE at least. 4. Complying with dictating some of his time for fulfilling requirements and responsibilities of his membership in the Board of Directors. 5. A full term of the Board of Director passed after the last two consecutive terms in which he was a member.
6. Having a record of exemplary conduct, a good reputation and no previous convictions for dishonourable offences, unless they have been rehabilitated. 7. Having a valid membership until the date of elections at least. 8. Submitting the CV to introduce the candidate.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Eight
The membership is won by the candidates who get the most votes. If votes of more than one candidate for the member positions to be elected are equal, the candidate having the oldest membership of SCE shall be the winner. Article Nine:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Nine
If a position of a member of the Board of Directors is vacant, the reserve winning candidate who get the most votes shall occupy this position, whose membership period shall be the complementary period of the term of the Board of Directors. The Board shall issue a decision stating so. Article Ten:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Ten
The Board of Directors shall at least hold its meeting every 90 days. The meeting shall be held in the SCE headquarter. The meeting may be held in any other place decided by the Chairman of the Board. Article Eleven:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Eleven
The invitation for convening the meeting shall be sent at least 20 working day before the actual date of meeting by a letter addressed by the Chairman of the Board to the members. The invitation shall include the agenda.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Twelve
A schedule, in which the names of attendees are registered, shall be prepared for every meeting of the Board. Presentations submitted and decisions taken shall be written down in the minutes of the meeting. The minutes of the meeting shall be kept with the secretariat of the Board. Article Thirteen:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirteen
The Board meeting shall be valid if attended by the majority of members, including the Chairman or the Deputy Chairman. The decisions shall be taken by the majority of votes. In the event of a tie in votes, the chairman of the session shall have the deciding vote.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Fourteen
A member of the Board shall be deemed resigned if he fails to attend three meeting of the Board without a reason accepted by the Board.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Fifteen
The Board of Directors of SCE shall form an advisory committee consisting of members of the General Assembly for giving their advice and opinion about plans and strategic directions of SCE. The Board shall decide work rules of such committee.
C. General Secretariat
Submit a proposal regarding Article Sixteen
The SCE shall have a general secretariat which manages its executive affairs according to the action plan adopted by the General Assembly. Article Seventeen:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Seventeen
The Board shall appoint a secretary general of the SCE and a deputy secretary general, provided that the duration of their employment shall be no more than six years. The General Assembly may approve an extension of their duration of employment for one term of three years. Their competencies shall include, but not limited to: 1. Managing the affairs of the General Secretariat, and ensuring the proper progress of its business. 2. Proposing technical, administrative, financial and professional rules for approval of the Board.
3. Representing the SCE before official and private agencies in coordination with the Chairman of the Board. 4. Proposing executive plans and developing the appropriate programs thereof for approval of the Board. 5. Preparing the annual budget of SCE and presenting the same to the Board for approval. 6. Proposing an agenda of the meeting of the Board and preparing memos, studies and information necessary for the presented topics. 7. Implementing decisions and executive and general plans approved by the Board. 8. Recruiting staff to carry out acts of the General Secretariat as needed for work and in accordance with the administrative and financial rules issued by the Board.
D. Engineering Divisions: Article Eighteen:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Eighteen
In SCE, engineering divisions shall be formed exercising their tasks in accordance with the rules approved by the Board. Such rules shall be applied on professional associations that operate within the framework of SCE.
E. Technical Committees: Article Nineteen:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Nineteen
In SCE, technical advisory committees shall be formed. They shall exercise their tasks in accordance with the rules approved by the Board.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Twenty
SCE may open branches or offices inside the Kingdom by a decision of the Board, on the basis of rules issued by the Board defining the administrative and financial relation between the branches and the General Secretariat.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Twenty-One
By a decision of the Chairman of the Board, based on a recommendation of the General Secretariat, coordinating committees, consisting of volunteers of members of SCE, shall be formed in regions, governorates or cities in which branches of SCE are opened. The mission of such committees is to facilitate the work of the Council in the region, governorate or city and coordinate professional activates of SCE.
Chapter Four: Membership:
Submit a proposal on Twenty-Two
It shall include all Saudis holding a university degree in engineering specializations or its equivalent, working in these professions and registrars as members in the SCE.
Submit a proposal on Twenty-Three
The Associate Membership shall include the following categories: 1. All non-Saudi engineers holding a university degree or its equivalent in any engineering division, working in the engineering profession inside the Kingdom. 2. A technician or student who applies for the membership, and people interested in the science of engineering. 3. Professional engineering companies and offices licensed to practice the engineering profession in the Kingdom. Note that associate members may not be entitled to nominate for a membership of the Board or vote in the General Assembly.
Submit a proposal on Twenty-Four
The Honorary Membership shall be awarded by the approval of the Board to those who make distinctive contributions that serve the profession. An honorary member shall be exempted from membership fees. The Honorary Membership shall be awarded according to the following: 1. He shall be nominated by three members of the Board, ten principal members or by the General Secretariat.
2. The General Secretariat shall prepare a report about his contributions in serving the profession. Note that honorary members may not be entitled to nominate for a membership of the Board or vote in the General Assembly.
Submit a proposal on Twenty-Five
SCE shall issue membership card for every members, specifying his personal details and professional rank and its type, number and validity period.
Submit a proposal on Twenty-Six
SCE shall collect membership subscriptions according to the regulation of members' subscription.
Chapter Five: Professional Registration:
Submit a proposal on Twenty-Seven
All engineers and technicians working in engineering profession inside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia shall be registered in the SCE, and will be classified according to classification rules issued by the Board. The SCE shall issue supporting documents necessary for each member.
Submit a proposal on Twenty-Eight
Anyone, who finishes registration procedures, shall be deemed a member of SCE in accordance of the membership type specified for each class, as well as the applicability of requirements thereof on him.
Submit a proposal on Twenty-Nine
The SCE shall issue a document for every registered individual indicating his personal details and membership type and its number, professional classification, and the validity period of registration document.
Chapter Six: Qualification and Classification
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirty
All engineers and technicians working or coming to work in the engineering profession in the Kingdom shall be subjected to the rules of professional qualification and classification approved by the Board.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirty-One
SCE shall put the appropriate test for all professional levels of engineers and technicians working in all engineering specializations.
Chapter Seven: Licensing
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirty-Two
The license of practicing the engineering services shall be given according to the academic and professional qualifications in the engineering specializations for a specified and renewable period of time according to licensing rules of engineering companies and offices suggested by the General Secretariat and approved by the Board after submitting the same to the advisory committee, in line with the regulations issued from the relevant authorities. Article Thirty-Three:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirty-Three
The license categories of practicing engineering services shall be in accordance with academic and professional qualification in the engineering specializations for a specified and renewable period of time according to licensing rules of engineering companies and offices suggested by the General Secretariat and approved by the Board after submitting the same to the advisory committee, in line with the laws issued from relevant authorities.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirty-Four
The license shall be terminated in the following cases:
1. Expiration of the license period and failure to renew the same within ninety days. 2. An application submitted by the holder of the license to terminate the same. 3. If a company failed to fulfill one of its conditions of incorporation according to articles of association or applicable laws. 4. The death or disability of license holder unless the heirs find an alternative in line with the applicable laws.
Chapter Eight: Rules and Ethics of Practicing the Profession
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirty-Five
The Board shall issue the Engineer Agreement, stating all customs, traditions, ethics and standards required to abide by when exercising the profession, provided that the content of such agreement shall not contradict with Islamic Sharia, regulations and laws in forth in the Kingdom.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirty-Six
When practicing the profession, Each member shall abide by the rules and ethics of the profession approved by SCE and abide by all laws, regulations and instructions issued by the relevant authorities.
Chapter Nine: Irregularities and Penalties
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirty-Seven
The Board of Directors shall determine the rules governing administrative and professional irregularities and the procedures for addressing and investigating them. Article Thirty-eight:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirty-eight
The Board of Directors shall issue - based on a recommendation of the General Secretariat- the rules of registration of experienced and competent candidates. The General Secretariat shall constitute from among themselves committees to investigate the violations charged against any of the members of the Council and apply the appropriate punishment against her/him according to the type and nature of the violation. Article Thirty-nine:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Thirty-nine
Appeals may be raised against decisions of the Committee regarding offenses and penalties within thirty days from the date of issuance of such decisions. The appeals shall be submitted to the Chairman of the Board of Directors whose decision is subject to appeal before the Board of Grievances. Article Forty:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Forty
The Council shall apply sanctions gradual and proportionate to the gravity of the offense charged against a member of the Council (individuals, offices and companies) as follows: 1. Written admonition. 2. Written warning 3. Financial penalty 4- Suspension from work, for one year at maximum. 5. Cancellation of professional registration. 6. Cancellation of license. It should be noticed that the Board of Directors has the authority to apply any of the sanctions listed above abruptly in accordance with the gravity of the offense charged against any member of the Council at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
Chapter Ten: Financial Provisions
Submit a proposal regarding Article Forty-One
The Board of Directors has the right to manage the funds of the Council in accordance with the provisions of the Statute of the Council; cash is to be deposited in one or more banks; The Board of Directors shall approve the financial rules, policies and procedures of the Council. Article 42:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Forty-Two
The Council shall charge a certain fee determined by the rules adopted by the Board of Directors for the following services: 1. Professional tests.
2. Accreditation and ratification of documents, signatures and letters. 3. Providing technical advice in the areas of engineering. 4. Training and qualification of engineers and technicians. 5. Technical arbitration of disputes. 6. Scientific publication of books, researches, journals, translation and information. 7. Seminars, conferences and workshops held by the Council itself or in partnership with others. 8. Any other services approved by the Board of Directors. Article Forty-Three:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Forty-Three
The Council may receive donations, gifts and bequests to invest such funds in accordance with the rules issued by the Board of Directors. Article Forty-Four:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Forty-Four
The funds of the Council shall not be used outside the framework of the objectives for which they are dedicated.
Chapter 11: Final Provisions:
Submit a proposal regarding Article Forty-Five:
Executive regulations of the Council may be amended based on a proposal submitted by the Board of Directors and approved by the General Assembly.
Submit a proposal regarding Article Forty-Six
The regulations shall be put into force from the date of approval by the General Assembly.
To Submit a proposal to add a new article
Election Regulations for membership of the Board of Directors of Saudi Council of Engineers
(Attached to the Executive Regulations)
• Method of nomination:
Candidates shall be nominated individually, where they may not mutually agree on determining electoral lists for membership of the Council.
• Rules governing introducing candidates profiles:
Introducing candidates is to be carried out through the committee supervising the elections, and following the appropriate professional methods that provide fair and equal opportunities for all the candidates to reach voters on equal terms through the period specified in the schedule of the election. Such professional methods are as follows:
1- Issuance of a printed manual containing a page of information about each candidate explaining her/his qualifications, experience and autobiography that contains her/his scientific and professional achievements and her/his vision, objectives and plans, taking into account the role legally required from a member of the Board of Director, where the manual shall not include promises or programs beyond the duties and authorities of a member of the Board of Directors. This guide shall be available at the headquarters of the Council and its branches to make available the information before voters. In addition, the guide shall be sent to all members and clearly published on SCE website.
2- Candidates may use local newspapers and magazines specialized in writing professional articles to put forward their professional views. They also may benefit from their own Web sites to introduce themselves.
3- In introducing one's profile, a candidate shall abide by the following matters:
4-1 Compliance with the regulations, rules and ethics of the profession and respect for public order and the established values of the Saudi society.
4-2 Fair competition and taking into account the rights of other candidates and not to behave in a way affecting them negatively.
4-3 Never to behave in a way affecting engineers or the professional engineering entities negatively, by any means.
4-4 Candidates shall be nominated individually, where they may not join unified electoral lists for membership of the Council.
5. The supervising committee is entitled to ensure the extent to which candidates are abiding by the instructions and regulations governing introducing candidates' profiles, checking for irregularities that may be committed by the candidates, and correcting the irregularities that can be corrected without affecting the rights of the rest of candidates, provided that the offending candidate shall pay the costs of correcting the violation s/he committed and to be excluded from the final list of nominations based on a decision issued by the committee.
• Method of election:
1- Voting the candidates shall be carried out entirely electronically, provided that confidentiality and non-penetration are guaranteed.
2- A voter can only choose just one candidate from among the candidates to be elected.
3- Choosing more than one candidate renders a member's vote canceled.
Procedures of appeals:
First: As for submitting appeals before the Appeals Committee as well as before the committee supervising the elections, this is a right afforded for each candidate and voter regarding all the various activities, according to the following:
1- The right to appeal against the preliminary list of candidates issued by the committee supervising the elections, provided that the appeals and grievances are submitted within just one week from the date of publication, and by the candidates and voters only.
2- The right to appeal against the list of eligible voters who are entitled to cast their ballots, issued by the General Secretariat of the Council, provided that the appeals are submitted within just one week from the date of publication, and by the candidates and voters only.
3- The right to appeal against the preliminary results of voting, provided that the appeals are submitted within just one week from the date of publication, and by the candidates and voters only.
This shall be done within the specified periods for the submission of appeals and grievances in the approved schedule for the electoral process. Any appeals or grievances submitted after the specified dates shall be negligible.
Second: Appeals shall be raised in/against the following cases:
1- Non-applicability of the conditions of nomination to candidates.
2-Non-applicability of the basic conditions for membership to the voters and the validity of their membership.
3- Offenses committed by candidates or voters against the instructions and procedures of the elections.
4- Decisions issued by sub-committees of elections, which have an impact on the results.
5- Any candidate winning the elections in violation of the instructions regulating the elections.
Third: The Appeals Committee is authorized to accept the objections and appeals, to investigate them and issue the necessary decisions and then submitting them to the Supervisory Committee for the issuance of the final decision, as follows:
1- Exclusion of any candidate from the list of candidates.
2- Exclusion of any voter from the voters' list.
3- Invalidation of the winning of any candidate.
4- Stopping any electoral activity.
5- Invalidation of any decision taken by the sub-committees of elections.
6- Re-polling in the electoral circle(s) appealed against, when necessary.
• Date of election:
The date of election is to be determined by the Supervisory Committee, provided they shall be held within a period not less than two months from the date of the end of the existing Board session.
• Method of notification:
All of the principal members shall be notified of the date, procedures and instructions of voting and election that shall be published in the various media, website and e-mails to members..